SharePoint 2013 Farm setup–and we are off!
Applies to: SharePoint Server 2013
Like many other SharePointies, I’ve decided to setup a lab environment so I can play around with the new features first hand.
Lucky, my mate Andrew Connell has an excellent guide on getting setup for a development environment. This takes you through the process from end-to-end.
I already have a Hyper-V environment and a dedicated SQL server, so I could skip stright to installing SharePoint.
I created a new vm using Windows Server 2012 as the OS. I still don’t get why MS do not include buttons instead of requiring the mouse to be in specific location of the bottom left/right corner. The majority of admins remote to their servers, so this is nothing but a pain. Anyways, enough about that, Microsoft probably spent millions over this very topic, so I’ll just suffer until popular demand forces them to add them in an a service pack .
My plan is to follow best practices and use an install account and a farm account to get started. The install account has dbcreator and security admin roles in SQL.
After successfully running the pre-config and getting all the required roles and bits in place, I ran the installer. All is good so far. Next I get to configure SharePoint 2013. For 2010, I would skip to using PowerShell at this point, but I want to see what the config wizard does for SharePoint 2013.
Oh look, you can define your Config database name. how novel! I do that, and provide the rest of the configuration values and of I go.
An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException was thrown… This SQL Server instance does not have the required “max degree of parallelism” setting of 1. Database provisioning operations will continue to fail if “max degree of parallelism” is not set to 1 or the current account does not have permissions to change the setting.
See my other post on this issue and how to get over it.
The configuration wizard takes several minutes to run (more than 10 for me). Yay. Configuration completed without error. Lets see what databases it created:
Configuration database: SP2013_Config
Admin contnet db: SharePoint_AdminContent_93725166-c75a-4e48-8bae-445bab7ffad7
Ugh. Again with the GUIDs. Ok, back to Central Admin.
First Question: Do I want to sign up for the customer experience Improvement Program. No.
Second Question: How do you want to configure your SharePoint farm? Wizard or manually?
Again, I’d normally do this with PowerShell, but I want ot see how te wizard does, so wizard it is.
The following services are configurable using the wizard:
- Access Services 2010
- Access Services
- App Management Service
- Business Data Connectivity Service
- Excel Application Service
- Lotus Notes Connector
- Machine Translation Service
- Managed Metadata Service
- PerformancePoint Service Application
- PowerPoint Conversion Service Application
- Search Service Application
- Secure Store Service
- State Service
- Usage and Health Data Collection
- User Profile Service Application
- Visio Graphics Service
- Word Automation Services
- Work Management Service Application
I also specify a dedicated services application account. Though the services wizard only allows you to specify one service account, in a production environment, I would use several.
Other than Access, BDC, Lotus notes Connector, Machine Translation, PerformancePoint, PowerPoint conversion, and Word Conversion, I am going to have the wizard create the rest.
I click Next and get this:
SharePoint 2013 is now working on it and is sorry to keep us waiting.
Glad to see the following hasn’t changed from 2010. My buddy James Sturges crack us every time he sees this.
It take a while for the wizard to complete. But you will know it’s working as you watch several database with GUIDs in the name get created. Lovely.
Eventually, you are asked to create a site collection. I’m going to go ahead and create one at the root site. I’m going to use the 2013 experience and use the publishing portal template.
After the site collection wizard is complete, I am brought back to Central Admin home page.
I browse to the new site collection to make sure it’s up…
Ok, that’s it for the Farm configuration. ‘til the next SharePoint 2013 post…